Zero touch enrollment is a streamlined process that registers Android devices for business management. With zero touch enrollment, organizations, IT and employees can quickly, easily and securely deploy large numbers of Android devices. Zero touch enrollment makes it easy to configure and ship devices online with enforced management, allowing employees to open the box and get started.
In this blog story, I will explain what zero touch enrollment is, its benefits, its requirements, and how you can use it for your organization.
What is zero touch enrollment?
Zero touch enrollment is a feature available for Android devices purchased from an authorized zero touch reseller or Google partner. Upon first startup, devices check if they have been assigned a business configuration. If so, the device initiates the provisioning method for fully managed devices and downloads the appropriate device policy app, which then completes the managed device setup.
Zero touch enrollment allows you to set up and manage your devices remotely through an online portal in your Web browser. You can create different configurations for different groups of devices, and assign them to the devices you purchased from your reseller. You can also add your organization's name, a welcome message and a support URL to help your employees activate their devices.
What are the benefits of zero touch enrollment?
Zero touch enrollment offers several benefits for organizations looking to deploy Android devices to their employees, including:
- Time savings: You don't have to follow manual steps to register and configure each device. You can easily set up your devices online and have them ready for use by your employees.
- Security: You can ensure that your devices are managed with your chosen enterprise mobility management (EMM) platform, and that your employees cannot install or change unwanted apps or settings. You can also enforce security policies and updates to protect your devices and data.
- Ease of use: You can provide your employees with a seamless and user-friendly experience when activating their devices. You can display your organization name, a welcome message and a support URL to guide your employees through the process. All your employees have to do is turn on their device, connect to a Wi-Fi network and log in with their business account.
What are the requirements for zero touch enrollment?
To use zero touch enrollment, you need the following:
- A device with Android Pie (9.0) or higher*, a compatible device with Android Oreo (8.0), or a Pixel phone with Android Nougat (7.0), purchased from an authorized zero touch reseller or Google partner
- An EMM provider that supports fully managed devices
- A zero touch account created by an authorized zero touch reseller or Google partner
* Initially through selected reseller. The ability to assign any device running Android Pie (9.0) or higher for zero touch enrollment will be extended to all resellers by the end of 2020.
How can you use zero touch enrollment for your organization?
To use zero touch enrollment for your organization, follow these steps:
- Purchase your Android devices from an authorized zero touch reseller or Google partner. You can find the list of reseller partners in Android's [Enterprise Solutions Directory](^1^).
- Ask your reseller to create a zero touch account for you. You will receive an email with a link to activate your account and set your password.
- Log in to the [zero touch portal](^1^) with your account information. You can use the portal to view, configure and assign your devices.
- Create a configuration for your devices. You can specify your organization's name, a welcome message, a support URL, and the EMM provider you want to use. You can also set advanced options, such as skipping the initial installation steps, hiding the system bar or enabling debug mode.
- Assign your configuration to your devices. You can filter your devices by model, reseller, IMEI or serial number. You can also select and assign multiple devices at once. You can change or delete your assignments at any time.
- Send your devices to your employees. All your employees have to do is turn on their device, connect to a Wi-Fi network and log in with their business account. Their device will be automatically registered and configured according to your settings.